In principle, it comes to overweight when the energy supplied through the diet is higher than the required or used energy. The individual causes for this are manifold, mostly several causes play a role together.
- Incorrect diet as one of the causes: too high fat content (especially saturated fat), many short-chain carbohydrates, for example, in sugary soft drinks, alcohol, fast food, munchies
- Cause lack of exercise: no sports, no regular exercise, sedentary activities, car instead of bicycle
- Mental causes (stress, "Frustessen", nutrition as a substitute for love)
- Metabolic diseases such as hypothyroidism and diabetes, hormonal changes (pregnancy, menopause)
- Drugs as causes (cortisone, antidepressants, diabetes tablets, beta-blockers, pill)
- Maternal factors during pregnancy affecting the unborn as causes (chemicals like bisphenol A, medications, diabetes)
Causes: obesity and genes
Genetic factors play a role in the causes of obesity: The tendency to obesity and too rapid weight gain or weight loss (good or bad feed users) is created in the genes or acquired during pregnancy. But: Congenital factors are rarely the sole cause of obesity. The innate tendency (disposition) is usually still unhealthy living conditions that promote obesity and are considered causes.
Overweight and habits
No wonder, then, that obesity and adiposity permagna are on the rise, especially in the industrialized countries - after all, the local lifestyle is characterized by an oversupply of food and low physical work - which in turn are typical causes of obesity.
Often the diet is not only characterized by abundance, but also by an unhealthy composition of the food. So often industrially manufactured, enriched with many additives and flavor enhancers foods are eaten. Dieting with short-chain, easily digested carbohydrates results in less energy being consumed for digestive work, and some fats - such as those found in fast food - are stored faster than others. This creates overweight, which is the first step to obesity.
In addition, the diet is often irregular, the meals are too big and they are eaten too fast. The feeling of satiety is no longer noticed or ignored. Even infants are trimmed with sugar-fortified foods for taste sensations that lead to an unhealthy diet - resulting in overweight or obese children.